Thursday, February 11, 2010

This and all that...

"A schedule defends from chaos and whim. It is a net for catching days."
Annie Dillard

Life sure has a way of giggling at my plans some days. Wanted to do a little stretching and ab work on Tuesday evening after work. Didn't factor in the part about getting home only at 8:15pm and not having had dinner yet. I was not moving from that couch! Yesterday, I had a 3K tempo planned, but work ended up taking almost every minute of my day. I did manage to get to my yoga class last night, but it was a tight squeeze (my last session at work was stretched to the max). So, there you have it...chaos :) The good thing is, I'm not bothered by this at all. I'm the eldest of five and have three kids of my own, so my life is all about organized chaos. I just take it as it is...

Here's what I like about running outside on a nice day. I'm running along, enjoying the weather and the snowless roads and I cross a woman, probably late 60's, taking a walk:
She "Bonjour"
Me, smile "Bonjour"
A couple of hundred meters later, I cross an older man walking, he smiles and nods my way, so I smile and "Bonjour" once again.
We're going in opposite directions, but we seem to be doing the same by-the-river loop because a while later I cross the same lady:
Me: "re-bonjour"
She: laughs and says "Ah oui, vous ĂȘtes jeune vous" (translates to "You're young you")
Me: smiling "Not quite" 
A few meters later, I cross the man again, this time when I look his way he smiles and gives me the thumbs up. I give him a big smile and am realizing how much of a boost these encounters are.
I like the changing scenery, feeling the sun on my face, the variability in terrain and the fact that my pace varies right along with it...and the encouragement of kind strangers :)

p.s. First Running clinic tonight...very excited!
Cheers!

11 comments:

Jamoosh said...

I will expect some wisdom from the running clinic!

Marlene said...

I love seeing familiar faces out on the paths and sharing a 'Hello!' and wave.

Jocelyn said...

I love when i'm doing loops and I start to see the same people over and over again. Its nice when they take notice too! Great run :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Hope the clinic goes well! Can't wait to hear about it!

Julie said...

Bonjour Anne!! "Ah oui, vous etes jenue vous!"
Hey there sister, have a great run tonight at your clinic:) I can't wait to hear all about it:)

Steel Springs said...

It's always encouraging to see a friendly face when I'm running. Have fun at the clinic!

momof3 said...

Hilarious! You made me smile, as I often run around a lake I too get to say "Hi again" to people all the time. Except for SERIOUS RUNNER (a guy in my neighborhood) people are almost always complimentary and encouraging as I huff and puff along the way. Go you!
And have a great time at your clinic tonight! I bet it will be filled with networking and wisdom!

ajh said...

I liked your post today. What is the running clinic? I am anxious to hear about it.

Amy said...

Good post! It is such a boost to pass by friendly faces on a run!

Johann said...

I often see the same people, mainly runners and walkers, in the morning. It lifts me because they are always friendly. I'm always friendly to them as well and hope I lift them in the same way.

jenn w/ 2 n's said...

I Love that!! Runners and walkers are a friendly lot. It's like we all look at each other and think "Good for you getting out there and doing something good for yourself"