Thursday, February 18, 2010

I've created a monster...a cute monster :)

"Undoubtedly, we become what we envisage."
Claude M. Bristol

As we're heading for bed last night, here's what my husband casually mentions to me, "There's a Winter Pentathlon in Québec and that's something I'd really like to do." "Oh?!" He goes on to explain that it starts with 15K of biking, followed by 6K of running, 9K of cross-country skiing, 9K of skating and 6K of snowshoeing! To be fair, he's mentioned before that he liked the idea of winter triathlons and would perhaps like to do that one day. However, it never progressed past the point of casually mentioning it. This is much more serious.
Me: "That does sound interesting, but we'd need lots of equipment"
Him: "Not that much"
Me: "Well, we'd need bikes and new skis, and we don't own snowshoes"
Him (excitement building in his voice): "Well, yeah, we'd need  to get good bikes and some snowshoes and of course we'd have to change our skis" 
Me (excitement creeping in): "That will require a lot of training though, because that's a lot of sports"
Him: "It would be a good project for when I retire (in 4-5 years)"
Me (really beginning to like the idea): "That's true, it would give us time to prepare. Sounds like it could be fun"
Us: silly grins :)
I've since googled the "Pentathlon des Neiges" de Québec and found out that we could do this in teams, tandem or solo and that the distances he mentioned are the Long Distance Challenge (the most mileage of all). A grand total of 45Ks compared to a maximum of 29Ks for other challenges. I guess we'll see when the time comes. I'm still just getting started with running, but it sounds like a great plan for a few years from now. Just, not too soon, because my butt needs some serious bike training and I mean my "butt" literally!
I must admit that the idea of a winter pentathlon is really growing on me by the hour. If you can't beat that crazy season, join it :)

Another thing I wanted to mention today is about yoga. I've been doing yoga once a week for almost two years now and about a month ago, I started going to a second (more difficult) class every week. I was beginning to think that nothing would improve my flexibility, because I saw very little improvement in that department. BUT, last night, I was sitting cross legged on my triangle and as usual I had a cushion under my left knee because it usually pulled too much to stay in that position for too long. I quickly realized that I didn't seem to be feeling any pull at all, so I removed the cushion and...nothing, no pull, no pain throughout the session. For the first time since I started doing yoga, there seemed to be more fluidity and ease in my movements. I do believe that doing yoga at least twice a week may be the key to improving my flexibility. Yay!!

Cheers!

23 comments:

Marlene said...

I love it! What a fantastic idea and a great goal to work towards!

Melissa said...

That sounds like an awesome goal. WOW!

MCM Mama said...

Wow! That sounds cool!

Jamoosh said...

I am on board - although I don't know where I will find snow in Texas to train in.

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
Oh my God, you two are just to flipping cute for me:) I am smiling ear to ear!! Seriously, I love the idea!! Go Anne!!! A perfect excuse to get some new gear and equipment!! I love it!! Happy Thursday:)

Momma Twitch said...

Oooh, that sounds like FUN!

Psyche said...

Wow! Pentathlon! What WILL you do next...? You are amazing.

You know, it's always the casual remarks that end up changing our lives...:)

jenn w/ 2 n's said...

I'm w/ Jamoosh. Not enough cold or snow days here but you go ahead and give it a go! If I can figure out how to swim the correct way, I'm thinking about training for a sprint tri!! I'm so crazy!!

Teamarcia said...

OMG isn't she fabulous!
Now about that pent: coolest idea ever!!! Where do I sign up? Any race with 'neige' in it instead of 'eau' and I am so there! But do you have to cycle on snow because I can barely cycle on pavement to be honest. You MUST do it. Have to.

Jocelyn said...

Wow that sounds nuts! In a good way :)

Lily on the Road said...

Holy YIKES, I really would like to do that! We have a winter tri in Ottawa and maybe next year it'll be on my calendar, but honestly, I'd love to try the Pentathlon....

momof3 said...

Hilarious! Now, what you need to do is find a Dr to sponsor you & your hubby! Actually, I think that sounds like fun. Mad Crazy Fun, but Fun all the same!

Miglena said...

WOW, what a great project! You never stop to amaze me! Really, Anne, what is next? An ultra marathon on the Moon? You, go girl! (and boy)!

Libby said...

Wow that pentathalon sounds super cool- I've never heard of anything like that!

ajh said...

You are too much fun! Go for it!

Alicia said...

A pentathlon? How cool is that?! So fun that you and your hubby will have so much to do together after he retires. I only hope when we retire, we will be that active. :)

Meg said...

I loved your post...the excitement in your words to try something new and fun. That is so great! I think doing all of those sports and the training would be super challenging but wonderful too. HOW FUN!
That is neat that your flexibility and strength have improved so much with yoga. I haven't been able to stick with it consistently because I usually start having back problems after about two classes. Maybe this summer I can try again, you inspired me!

TX Runner Mom said...

Wow, that pentathlon sounds awesome!!! I think it would be a blast for you guys to train for that together.

Amy said...

wow - a pentathlon would be an amazing challenge, I love the idea of the two of you doing it together!

And I agree about the yoga - one class a week is probably not enough to notice real improvement in flexibility. But it's better than nothing. Good for you on your triangle!

ownyourbackbone.blogspot.com said...

Inspiring blog. Love it. I there is such a great connection between breath, life, running, and inspiration. We take one breath and step at a time and get eventually to these wonderful places. I want to be there when I grow up too!!

kilax said...

Oh my gosh. You have to do the Winter Pentathlon. That sounds LIKE SO MUCH FUN!

I was just telling my husband last night how excited I am that yoga has made me more flexible. And reading this inspires me that I may find even more flexibility in a few years. Good for you! :)

Diana said...

I think it sounds like a blast!! You guys have to do it. I am excited about it and I'm not doing it.....hmmm....maybe!

Robin said...

Wow! How exciting to have another ultra-cool goal to be working toward! :-) And yes, I'd like to be like HER, too. I can't even imagine... sigh... So stiff and sore most of the time.