Monday, February 1, 2010

Thanks & Aha! squared

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." AnaƬs Nin

Today, I would like to begin by sending out a very special thank you to G of Neurosis of a stay at home mom of 3 who wrote me the most caring comment. It brought tears to my eyes and gave me the permission I was unknowingly seeking.
Allow me to share it with you...

"I wanted to just make a note here on speed. In a lot of your posts you seem worried about how fast or slow you are running, and I think it would be a great idea if for your first half marathon you just relax and enjoy the moment without making a WHOLE bunch of time goals. Seriously, it took me almost 3 hours to finish my first HALF! And "only 5" to finish my first marathon... which proves that a lot more speed (and yes, I know those are not speedy times, but I have a ton of fun running) will come with time.
Do this HALF because you LOVE IT! Because you have a PASSION FOR RUNNING! Because it makes you HAPPY! Because it EMPOWERS YOU to overcome the physical "limitation" of asthma." Momof3

This was totally an AHA moment for me. I started this journey with no time goal and the wish to accomplish something I never thought possible...I just wanted to be able to do it! As much as I am inspired by everyone's accomplishments, I am also a bit intimidated...everyone seems to be going so fast doing so well. But this comment reminded me that many of you have been doing this for longer than I have and that I need to go back to my initial mindset, which is to simply try my best, be proud of myself, appreciate how much it's helping my asthma and enjoy the ride! I can not thank you enough Momof3.

My second AHA moment came yesterday when I went to bed past 11pm once again and had trouble falling asleep because I was still a bit overstimulated from all the blog reading and commenting. I just had one of those "blinks" where I realized that I was trying to do more and more on less and less sleep...and it clicked that I don't have to do this! I don't know if I would call myself a type A, maybe...but, I do know that someone once told me that I don't do anything half-assed. That goes for running and blogging I guess. I have learned so much from reading about everyone's experiences with running and I love hearing about the ups and downs of training, injuries, juggling, etc...

Here's what I was thinking: 
1) No more going to bed later than 10pm on nights when I need to get up early the next morning.
2) Even if I don't have to rush in the morning, get off the computer by 10pm (go read a book - I used to read 1 to 3 books a week and lately I've only been reading blogs).
3) Allow yourself no more than a maximum of an hour a day for reading blogs and commenting. So, if I didn't get to yours today, I'll make sure you're on my list for tomorrow - because I'm curious and I don't want to miss anything :).
4) It's okay not to post something every single day (I am for sure using Wordless Wednesday and will continue to not post on Saturdays).

I am not a very rigid person, so this is not written in blood...some days I might still overdo it and others I may not be on the computer at all. The important thing is that I had an insight and the awareness will help me cope in the healthiest way possible with my very busy life.
Good night everyone!
Cheers!

23 comments:

Erika said...

Love your rules and may have to start following them. ;o) (As I post this comment at 11pm,sigh)

MCM Mama

Melissa said...

Those are all fantastic rules. I could do with the more books and sleep thing myself.

Kerrie T. said...

I had an AHA moment like this, where I knew I had to cut back a few weeks ago. It's supposed to be fun! :)

Here it is:
http://momvsmarathon.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-cannot-keep-this-pace.html

mommaof3ontherun said...

I also struggle with the pace thing as you know. I won't allow it to change what I am doing or why I am doing it.

I love what she wrote to you and I am going to listen to your message as well. Thanks for sharing!

Suzy said...

I sincerely hope that your AHA moment makes the difference you need. Pace isn't everything - the journey is worth so much more than the time on the race clock.

Your list is great! Enjoy the day.

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
I loved your post because it really spoke to me! I am in the same boat as you! I am a new runner who is in awe of all of the speedy super stars out there and I get intimidated too! I have certain doubts and sometimes lack confidence in my running. So heres the deal, one year ago I wasn't even hardly running on my mill in the winter...running was just a spring, summer and fall thing. I just ran my first half marathon!! I never in a million years would of thought that I could of accomplished that a year ago. I just started running the 5ks in May of 09. I was crabbing about my first half marathon time because I really deep down thought that maybe I could do it 1:50 to 1:55 but I gave myself the 2:00 cut off. My husband is the one who gave me the AHE moment. He was like "Jules, you finished it and you did it in a pretty good time considering it was your first. You need to get over it and move on. You know that you will get better and you will run faster." I wasn't giving myself enough credit and I didn't consider alot of things like weather, hills, and the fact that I really probably should of trained just a tad bit more. I lived!! I lived and I did it in a respectable time:) We will both get better and are going to learn and grow so much as individuals:)

I also am feeling a little over stimulated with the entire blog thing. I love reading everyones posts and feel like I might be missing something! You have some great things on your list...I need to make my own list and start to do the same. I have even started to dream about blogger friends...so weird I know:) So heres to blogging, running, friends and life...may we learn to balance everything out!! Have a great day Anne!

Miglena said...

I have the feeling that if you do relax about speed during training then you WILL end up running that 1/2M faster :)
love your list and AHAs...

ajh said...

I hear you about reading blogs and less time for reading books. I have been getting to bed after 10 and it isn't a good thing. I have set a goal of being in bed by 10 with some but not total success. I do love this blogging thing - I am new at it - but need to keep a middle ground. Pace is a relative thing.What is fast to me is slow to others. That is what I love about this sport. You can truly race against yourself. When I did my first half I walked/ran. I did the same in my first marathon with my goal being to finish. It was a BLAST! That is what I would like to say after every race and I often do.

Teamarcia said...

Here's to finding more balance in our lives!
I saw that comment and loved what she said about just enjoying a race. I too keep vowing to do that.
Another of my new 'rules' is: no food at the computer!
Have a great day!

momof3 said...

~sniff~ I am all welly here. Thanks Anne.

Jocelyn said...

Great comment from momof3. She is so right! I hope you do heed her advice! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I agree with the comment you got.... in fact, I used to be pretty hard on myself about pace too because of unnecessary pressure I put on myself from reading other bloggers. I finally realized that I'm me, I can only do what I can, and should be proud of what I am doing... so I don't worry about pace anymore! I don't post it, don't feel the pressure, it's 'freeing'. Great rules!

Jamoosh said...

No, no - you must write it in blood. I am serious about this. Don't make me come up there!

Libby said...

The comment from momof3 is so perfect for me too. I feel like I should be super speedy, but I need to remember to just have fun :) Thanks for sharing that

Amy said...

Great thoughts, Anne and Momof3 - I think we (women especially!) do put too much pressure on ourselves to excell in everything we do. It is so important to find our own "feel good" pace, not just in running but in all areas of our lives as well, so that we don't burn ourselves out!
I have known for a long time for myself that I cannot be on the computer after about 8pm or I am just too wired to sleep. I do sometimes put too much time into reading blogs, but it is so nice to keep up with everybody! Surely there are worse vices?

Marlene said...

She is so right! Love your "AHA!" moment. Have fun with it! That's how I approached my first half AND full, and it was the best decision I ever made.

I like your game plan for using your time better... winding down and getting to bed early is key for me in having a productive week.

Ulyana said...

AHA! Yes, momof3 is absolutely correct!

Anne said...

I bet your first part of the post about "the need for speed" is directly related to your second about blog overload. Yes, running bloggers seeking to run faster are quite common. Once runners start entering races, they tend to become more competitive. Or, at least they write as if they are. Stay the person and runner you wish to become, no matter your pace.

Beth said...

I agree about not obsessing about time goals. I used being slow as an excuse to not run with others and to put myself down for a long time. We are all on our own path and it's not fair to ourselves to try and compare and beat ourselves up. Just enjoy and do your best and be proud!

Alicia said...

Don't you wonder how people like Tall Mom Mel and Tricia from Endurance Isn't Only Phyical do it all?! I think I follow, like, maybe 40 blogs and most of them only post once or so a week. I do love this blog community, though, and will always make time for it.

I've always been good about seeing others running paces as their place in their journey. We are all on different paths.

Nice post!

runningfrom said...

Anne....what can I say. It is nothing short of a miracle that you are doing what you are doing. You have always inspired me to be better, to do more, to reach higher. I can't even make sense of the fact that you are not absolutely giddy with pride at what you have accomplished in such a short time. Look at the before and after pictures of yourself in your first post again. LOOK! THAT is what is important, not running 0.3 mph faster. You're gonna get such a noogie when I see you. Which had better be soon. xxxxxx

Psyche said...

Hi, Ann. I am a new reader. Your posts are reflective and inspirational and I really look forward to following along on your journey. Have a great day!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Hi Anne,
Love your thoughts on monitoring your self w/computer time and blogging. My goal for the past 2 weeks has been to turn off the computer from 7-9am and 5-7pm each day, and it's helped;-) glad we found each other!