Friday, July 16, 2010

IT update and vacation.

"I truly believe that we can overcome any hurdle that lies before us and create the life we want to live. I have seen it happen time and time again.”
Gillian Anderson

Barring uncontrollable circumstances, I pretty much believe in the above quotation. Now, if you read my last post, you know that I felt some pain on the right side of my knee during my last run. Enough that I walked and stretched at least 4 times on my 8K run. This happened on Wednesday and this is where it's at, so far: You all convinced me to buy a roller, which I went out and did the same day. I rolled Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Then we were off to New Brunswick, so we pretty much spent the day in the car...lots of rest. Rolled again Thursday evening. Friday, I had read a bit more on IT and so in the morning, I rolled, I took an Advil, I iced and I didn't run. By Friday evening, that would be tonight...we went out to dinner and walked around and I felt no pain at all. Fingers, toes and eyes are crossed!
Shediac - by the Atlantic ocean
Eating an Atlantic specialty - mussels
Tomorrow, I plan on rolling morning and night, taking an Advil in the morning and then we are spending the day on Prince Edward Island...so no running, but lots of walking. Finally, Sunday, I hope to run my 16K long run at a very slow pace (which, would be called walking in someone else's world).  I'll keep you posted and show you a few pics of PEI :)

Thanks so much everyone for your amazing support and advice!
Cheers!

10 comments:

teacherwoman said...

way to keep up with the foam roller. Good luck with your "easy" 16K on Sunday! I will be sending positive vibes your way!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Oh my gosh - it looks beautiful and what a lovely photo. Good luck with the IT band. I had issues with mine last summer. Another thing that helped me was Kinseo tape. Helps with support. But keep up the rolling and make sure to continue to stretch after runs -especially after it is better.

Miglena said...

fingers crossed for the IT! I love your pictures and it looks like you are having a blast in NF :)

mommaof3ontherun said...

I hope it is "fixed"!!!!!

Pat said...

It looks like you're having a great vacation. I hope the IT problem doesn't flare up on your 16K.

I noticed your link to Joan Anderson't site. She's one of my favorit authors. I love her books.

ajh said...

I went to PEI years and years ago! I loved it. Have a great time and a pain free run!!

racing dawn said...

Good luck on that run. Definitely run it slower than usual and I hope it goes great! And of course use the roller whether it hurts or not for awhile - it will keep helping! And fun, quick vacations definitely always help! :)

Teamarcia said...

I hope that angry IT settles down for you. That was my first running injury post-first marathon. Roll baby roll! And have a great time!

Giorgio said...

I hope you'll run your 16K long run on Sunday. Be careful and enjoy the training!

Mussels look big and good :) Thanks for sharing Anderson's sentence!

Love2Mags said...

Way to keep up the rolling! I've been doing it too and as tender (and sometimes painful!) and it can be, it sure as heck helps! I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better. Good luck on your long run and *take it easy*!