Monday, July 26, 2010

Socksess!! :) ...and 500 miles : Done!

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."
Author Unknown


In January 2010, I made the decision to run a half-marathon and then in February, I signed up with Robin and the other turtles to run 500 miles for a cause in 2010. Well dear friends, I have reached that goal with many months to spare.  I am not ready to stop now, so my next goal is to reach 750 miles (or maybe even 1000 miles). I find it truly unbelievable how far I've come :)

Socksess: Having a successful run with only socks on! Sorry...couldn't help myself :) Okay, so today I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill. The first 2K were with only my socks on (123-123-123-123)...then the achilles was feeling a little tight so I put my shoes back on (don't want to overdo it). However, it was long enough for my brain to encode the proper running form and off I went again (123-123-123-123). It is so much easier to run with this cadence while on the treadmill. Basically I just make sure the seconds always change on 1. It went GREAT!!! I felt a very very mild pain that did not stay (like a mini stab) around 4.8K. Could this all be working...seriously, I feel like giving my PT the biggest hug when I see him tomorrow. I really really hope it continues and I can start to do long runs again soon!! I'm loving running at this cadence, I feel lighter (very bouncy) and the barefoot trial has me mostly landing on the ball of my foot. I am beginning to feel that it may have been a good thing to go through this mild injury, as my running form is definitely benefitting from this new technique. Back home again, some ice, some rolling (must remain cautious)...and no pain! Success!

Tomorrow, second PT appointment...I'll definitely keep you posted!
Cheers!

26 comments:

Angie said...

Yeay!!! I am glad your workout went great. Keep us posted about yout PT appointment!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Congrats on 500 miles!

Lily on the Road said...

Good job on finding the proper cadence, many don't. Glad you are feeling GREAT, I can't believe you are already 5 weeks into marathon training. Good for you!!! oh and Congrat's to your brother, well done!

Matty B. said...

Very neat. You've reminded me how I used to do part of my speed training day barefoot on a track and how I miss that!

I was trying to look through older entries to understand the "123-123" and couldn't find it. Can you help?

Congrats, again, and keep rocking it.

Anne said...

In case others aren't sure what I mean by 123...check previous post. I'm trying to run 3 step/second :)

Matty B. said...

I'm tragically slow, Anne. Thanks for the explanation.

Marlene said...

Socksess... love it! So glad you are noticing improvements. You will be back to 100% in no time! Amazing what a big difference a SMALL change can make.

mommaof3ontherun said...

You'll be "back" in no time!

LMC said...

Congrats on 500. Keep it going! I'm glad you're without pain. Your PT deserves a hug, or at least a big thanks.:) Good luck tomorrow.

Beth said...

Congrats on your 500 miles and getting your PF under control. Ask your PT about whether you should be doing some calf strengthening excersises. I've heard that people that pick up barefoot running can stress their calves because of the change in how they land on their foot. Might be worth looking into strengthening that area. Just a though. Glad everything is going well! :)

ajh said...

YEAH! Keep it up!

Alma said...

Great post! LOVE IT! Keep it up ITB - stay cool!

Jon Gilchrist said...

that cadence business is key...keep dialing it in...and keep rockin on!!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

3 steps a second..so that's 180? which is a 90 cadence i think? which is fabu to do!

keep at it...it works. and i've talked about the tempo trainer, but getting one helps.

Laura said...

Congrats on your 500miles, that's awesome :-)

Jennifer said...

500 is an excellent number! So happy to hear that your PT work and TM running are paying off! Cheers!

abbi said...

Great job on reaching your 500 miles...you certainly did so with lots of time to spare!

Suzy said...

Congrats on your mileage!! 500 is a major accomplishment. I can't wait to read how far you go.

ShutUpandRun said...

Exciting about the changes you've made. And 500 miles!!!!!!!! Awesome.

Sherri said...

Your doing a great job! Congrats on 500 miles.

Johann said...

Yeah for the 500 miles! Can you believe what you've achieved? Well done! I love your socksess word.

Iron Mike said...

I think it's great that you're running the 500+ and giving back to the community. Win Win.

And I realize after this post that i totally misunderstood. Baresock does not equal barefoot. I'll keep that in mind.

Heather said...

Congratulations on reaching your goal! and good luck with your next goal!!

Julie said...

I am smiling for you! Congrats on the sockless run and your awesome mileage Lady! You are doing so well Anne! Look how far you have come:)

Rad Runner said...

This is HUGE congrats girl on the MILES! You practically ran to the moon and back (hey at least in my eyes you did!)

Jamie said...

Congrats on 500 miles already!!

Good luck visiting your PT :)