Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So excited to try my new...

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself."
Soren Kierkegaard


Saucony Type A4!

Yesterday, I saw Joseph, my PT...and it went exceptionally well. My knee is improving and my cadence is right on.  My foot placement, with my shoes on, was light and forefooted and I felt SO comfortable. When I took my shoes off to run, it was even better...as Joseph said, "I can't believe it, it's even better without your shoes on." Seriously, I was so happy and so excited, as I was feeling great and I love this new way of running. If you've been reading my blog for a while now, you'll remember that I ran up to 9K barefoot on the beach this winter while on vacation, and I loved it. So it is no surprise to me that I am enjoying this new technique. I told Joseph that I was going to buy new shoes the next day (today) and right away, he gave me a schedule (told me to start at week 7) and  he seemed convinced that I could make the transition from my old shoes to my new racers in about 3 weeks. He then gave me an appointment for next week to check the knee and see how I'm doing with my new racers!! I am super excited...you see, I feel so much better with this new running form, I stand up straighter and my feet land so softly, and I love this faster cadence. When I was in my bare feet, you could hardly hear anything on the treadmill!
This is so you can see the thinness of the sole.

Tomorrow's schedule is a 5 minute warm-up walk, 7 X 3 minutes of running interspersed with 1 minute of walking, then a 5 minute cool down walk (total of 38 minutes with new shoes on). Then it goes up slowly from there, until I can run 30 minutes non-stop, after which I can start to do all my runs in them. If I want to run longer, I am to wear my old shoes for now. I'll keep you posted, but if nothing exceptional happens over the next few days, I'll be back next week after my PT appointment to give you an update :)
I cannot wait until tomorrow!
Cheers!

27 comments:

ajh said...

They are certainly pretty!

Julie said...

There is nothing like a new pair of shoes! Good luck with them:)

Patrick Mahoney said...

I'm a reformed support shoe guy. Now I train in Newton's and race anything up to 10K in flats. So happy on your new forefoot strike and that it's working for you, I think it's so key.....

Morgan said...

Sounds like things are going well! Good luck transitioning into the new shoes, just take it easy and listen to the PT.

Beth said...

I love the new shoes and am so happy for you that you love your new running style. That's great!

ajh said...

I'm off to bed to finish Heart of the Matter. I won't say anything else about it until you read it. Let me know if you took out any other similar books that are good!

Heather said...

Glad everything is going so well for you!! Hope you have a great run tomorrow! The new shoes are cool!

Hi! I'm Erin said...

Can't wait to hear about your new shoes! Any reason you went with those and not something like Vibrams?

Johann said...

Nice shoes! I’m glad you’re feeling so good and positive. I’m sure you’ll be doing long runs real soon. That is fantastic. I always make a gradual transition to new shoes.

Jennifer said...

Great job Anne! The shoes look great and you seem on the right path for faster and healthier running!

abbi said...

Have fun with the new shoes...sounds like you have a great plan!

Marlene said...

Nice shoes! They look so light. Sounds like things are really working out great! Your patience and dedication paying off.

Iron Mike said...

I'm just gonna say you're either shoe'd or shoeless, rather than debate socked versus barefeet.

I looked up those new shoes, they're great. Very light.
I'm interested to see how you progress with them, in terms of breaking them in for use in races or wearing them regularly for training.

Heather said...

I love the shoes - they look so light and speedy!

Kovas said...

Great to hear everything is working and looking forward to hearing about these snazzy new shoes.

Jamie said...

me likey those shoes! glad to hear it is going so well for you!

Rad Runner said...

those shoes are RAD looking!

Jill said...

And I am "super excited" for you, too! Yay!!!! Those are the BEST looking shoes, lucky you!! Happy weekend, girl!!

Molly said...

those look so light, I hope they work out great for you!

And congrats on breaking 500!!!! I just did it this week too, high five!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Those shoes look fast. I hope they feel great and your knee issues are gone. There is something soooooo nice about running on new shoes.
I have a new pair of Nike Pegasus (I have been wearing the same type of shoe for 10 + years) that I have only worn once. I plan to wear them for my 8 miler tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend

LMC said...

You sound so positive and excited. I am excited for you too! BTW, I counted steps a few times this week and I learned that I am not very consistent. Something to work on. Thanks for the info! The shoes look pretty cool too. Good luck!

Sherri said...

I love your energy! Sounds like everything is going awesome! I love the new shoes!

Emz said...

They look sooooooooooooooo light. Can't wait to hear more about it/them. ;)

Melinda said...

That is interesting that you can barely hear anything when you run on the treadmill barefoot. I am such a flat footed runner, you can hear me from a mile away. Makes me wonder if my form/cadence could use some improvement, too. This work with your PT is very interesting!

Wifey said...

Nice ... and they're cute, too! Looking forward to reading more ...

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Claudia said...

Love your new running shoes, very cute!!
Glad to hear it's not your IT Band and that you're able to continue running.
Love hearing about your work with your PT.

rubber7soul said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Great to see you are making progress. Cool shoes :)!