Sunday, July 11, 2010

Marathon training - week 3 done...and life!

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

How about the good news first. I had my annual blood tests and I am thrilled to report that everything is great...no problems anywhere and my HDL is above average, so all good! Asthma-wise, my lungs have been dealing with this summer heat and humidity like troopers...I have been doing so well, that my doctor agreed to reduce the number of inhalations of Symbicort per day (from 3 to 2 inhalations twice a day)...Yay! I'm very excited...especially since this brings me to the not-so-good news :( 

Once again, after only three days off a twenty day run of meds for this exact problem, my throat is showing new signs of candida (aka thrush) a corticosteroid inhaler side-effect. This seems to have become recurrent, which of course is rare (but, I must be one unique gal, because this is the third "rare" thing I've had to deal with). Anyways, the frustrating thing about this is that it prevents me from rejoicing fully regarding my positive blood work and my happy lungs...but, I'm trying not to let it get to me too much. Should be hearing from the doc tomorrow. So, I agree with Dr. King...I accept finite disappointment, but I maintain, infinite hope :) 

Back to happier news...today I got my new training program at the gym. As Marjorie (my personal trainer) was going through my new program with me, I couldn't help noticing and commenting about how far I'd come. The progress I've made over the last two and a half years is amazing. For example, when I got my very first training program, I had to do 2 X 15 sit ups crossing over...and I could not do it. It was so hard for me. Today, Marjorie had me do my sit ups with no help from my legs, which were laying flat, going slowly and not touching down with my shoulders (2 x 20) and I could do it! This was how it went throughout the session...things felt easy"ish" and doable. After three years of being a member at my local gym, I was discussing with Marjorie my decision to not renew my membership in September. I have some of the necessary equipment to train at home (stability ball and 3lb free weights) and will buy what I'm missing (an elastic and some ankle weights)...plus, we will be buying a treadmill for the fall (yes!). Marjorie agreed to change up my program for me once in a while from my home...which will be perfect. From the beginning, she has been an important part of my transition from walker to runner. When I first mentioned to Marjorie (last August 2009) that I hoped to run a 10K in April, her response was immediate and extremely encouraging, "That sounds like a great goal"...and I though, "Wow, it sounds like she thinks I can do this"...which, was so motivating for me. Thanks Marjorie for your continued support and encouragement.  

Finally, I once again missed the Wednesday 8K steady run on my training schedule...but, I did do an extra 2K on Tuesday (just sayin' :)). I'm good with that though, I know this will happen sometimes and that it's to be expected. This week should go well, considering I'm finally off for a much needed vacation for the week...Yay!

Happy Birthday to my beautiful daughter who turns 21 today...I love you so much sweetheart :)
Cheers!

Sorry, no pics...broken camera :)

28 comments:

misszippy said...

Amazing progress, Anne. You should be very proud! And I love your Dr. King mantra--perfect.

Black Knight said...

Sorry for the broken camera. Happy birthday to your daughter. I am glad that the blood tests are perfect. Enjoy your new training program and never mind if you missed the tempo run, you have all the time for other speed-works.

ajh said...

You must be so proud of your progress! I would like to stop using the gym but have no room for a treadmill and need it sometimes.

Tricia said...

happy birthday to your daughter! have a great week!

Char said...

It's always so much fun to be a medical oddity. Great news about the tests and well done on your improvement in the gym.

Laura said...

Congrats on your progress! You are doing amazing.

Pat said...

Wow, way to go in improving and managing your health through all of your hard work! I feel your pain with the thrush, I've gotten it from my meds before too. You are a great inspiration and example, not to just me, but everyone who has health issues, that we can take control of our health and live better lives. We just have to make it a 'habit', ;-)

Julie said...

Hi Ann,
Congrats on finishing week three of marathon training! I am so proud of you! Also, it is good to hear that you are having no issues with your asthma and lungs!

Happy 21st Birthday to your daughter! My daughter turns 15 today:)

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Sounds like the gym workouts are really going well. Great that you will be developing your own personal gym at your house - exciting that you will be getting a tread mill - it will sure make things easier.

Glad you are lungs are doing GREAT - and summer must be extremely hard - with the heat and humidity . . . I am hoping for continued good results from the Dr. So do you have to go back on med's for the Thrush?

Have a great vacation week. LOVE IT.

Heather said...

Congrats on another week of marathon training! Enjoy your vacation. :)

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

happiest birthday to your daughter (and you frankly!;-) so, so great!

Jamie said...

congrats on week 3!

Irene said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

I'm glad to hear that you are healthy! I hope the thrush clears up quickly! (Been there, too!)

Have a wonderful week!

Laura said...

To go from training for a 10k to training for a marathon in less than a year is pretty amazing!

Matty B. said...

Very neat blog; just discovered. Like all the widgets and your ability to track various metrics.

Keep rocking it.

kat said...

hanks for sharing that, you have made amazing progress, love the pictures 2007 and 2010, it's a real chart of what you have achieved, so many women who write blogs give me hope that I can really get on top of the weight issues and turn into the runner and healthier person I want to be.
Well done again your journey has been amazing, and it's easy to see you've worked very hard to achieve your goals, and you look great, congratulations.

Johann said...

You are doing so well! Good luck with everything and thanks for always being so positive.

mommaof3ontherun said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! It seems to fly by, doesn't it? My oldest is 9 now and I know it will all flash before my eyes.

So, was does thrush mean for you? Do they just put you on diflucan? Does it come with other symptoms that impact you?

Always love to read your blog as a mom of a child with asthma (my oldest and possibly my 2 year old).

kilax said...

Oh man, I hope your throat gets better!

That is impressive improvement! Your personal trainer sounds great and encouraging :)

Jennifer said...

Congrats on such amazing progress! I know I can't do sit-ups like that, I am very impressed with your dedication to the gym workouts; something I struggle with all the time. Have a great week!

Marlene said...

Congrats on the positive blood work! I hope everything else turns out to be okay.

Sounds like a great program you have going at the gym - you have come a long way and you should have no problem taking it on from home in the fall.

racing dawn said...

Good news for the medical update. Its so great to actually see progress. Sometimes we just keep going, going, going and its nice to have a reminder of the progress we've made! Keep going!

Beth said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments and I hope you enjoy your vacation. While the medical front was mixed, it seems that overall you are doing very well and are an inspiration to me and many others.

Molly said...

That is so great to see how far you've come! I haven't been to a gym in years, you're going to love working out at home.

Anne said...

Trush is something you don't hear about too often in adults. I hope it clears soon. And great news on the progress with the personal trainer. Whoo-hoo!

Anne said...

Trush in adults is something you don't hear about too often. And great news about the progress with your personal trainer and embarking on the marathon training in earnest.

Sherri said...

Your doing an amazing job! Congrats on week 3! Someday I am going to run a marathon too...but first a half. =) Happy birthday to your daughter...I LOVE BIRTHDAYS!

Meg said...

It is so inspiring to see how much progress you've made with your fitness and running. I love it when the goals just keep coming and coming, way to go!
Happy Birthday to your daughter, mine is almost 21 !