Sunday, July 18, 2010

Half and half virtual race report + IT fail

"Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits." Robert Brault

First, here is my race report for the Half & Half Virtual Race put on by G of Neurosis of a Stay at Home Mom of 3! I did half of a 10K this morning and this is how it went down.
Peace!
Weather was pretty warm, but there was a nice breeze, so it felt fine. I was with Uber H and a friend, so the company was good. My IT band was behaving and I was feeling confident, but not cocky. Speed was not the goal as I had 16K planned and it was my first run since I first felt some IT pain. (Can someone tell me what I was thinking running 16K as a first run back!!) 

Okay, so my 5K went really well, considering this area is VERY hilly, but I did it. My pace was slow as I was hoping to run 16K, so it is what it is: 5K in 38m24s on July 17, 2010 - Done! :)

Now, I can hear you thinking to yourselves...is she healed? Was that it? How did the rest of the run go you ask (or not). Well, let's just say that hills, whether going up or down, are not very nice to the IT band...also, 16K is a bit long for a first run back from injury...duh! So by 8K, I was feeling real tight around the knee and at first I thought it was just cramping, but by 10K it hurt and I stopped, stretched and tried again. It hurt, I stopped running and walked another 3.5K until I got back to our friend's home.            
                                  
I rolled, I iced, I took two advil and then I took a warm shower. This afternoon, I feel absolutely no pain when I walk or bend or climb stairs. I'm continuing to enjoy my amazing weekend!

The plan: I am taking the week off and will roll, ice, take advil, do different cardio and continue with the gym and yoga. Next week, I will do my short runs and see how it goes. I'm not too worried, as I'm early in the marathon training program. I may try and see a physical therapist or someone who knows about sports injuries and see if there's anything else I can do.

I leave you with a few pics from our day on Prince Edward Island yesterday!  
                 
Confederation bridge - crosses from New Brunswick to PEI over the Atlantic ocean (11 Km)!
With our pals about to eat our amazing Seafood Chowder!
Catch of the day with baby red PEI potatoes and veggies!
Gahan Brewery...Cheers!

25 comments:

ajh said...

Continue to get better and enjoy your vacation with hubby and friends!

teacherwoman said...

Let that injury heal, girl!

Claire said...

Sending speedy healing vibes your way! Beautiful pics....I am loving that bridge!!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun on Prince Edward Island. Relax and rest and roll and ice and take ibuprofen - there is plenty of time before your marathon. ENJOY the day - enjoy the moment.

Char said...

Hills are really unkind to ITB sufferers. I've found that lying with a tennis ball massaging my pyriformis muscle (deep in the glutes) can also help especially if you continue to roll with your new toy and do all the glute stretches.

Jill said...

Hills are tough, especially with annoying ITB problems. Way to crank out that 5k, though...and that bridge is really REALLY cool (and long, wow!). You are just as cute as can be, love the picture :). Congrats on your virtual 5k!!!

Heather said...

Yikes, sorry about your injury! Good call taking the rest of the week off. Great vacation pics!

kat said...

Great run, great pics,great plan, happy healing,

Jamoosh said...

I fully approve of your trip to the brewery!

Giorgio said...

Congrats on your 5 km hilly race! Thanks for sharing that interesting photo of the Confederation bridge over the Atlantic ocean!

Laura said...

Heal Well! PEI is beautiful so enjoy the rest of your trip.

Johann said...

Take it easy with the IT. Unfortunately rest is one of the only options for this, but if you do it right you'll be fine again soon. Lovely pics!

Jennifer said...

Vacation is fun and good for you, unless of course you over do it when running. BTW I overdue it all the time when on vacation! You look fab in the pictures; happy and content.

Marlene said...

Great job on the run! Sorry to har that the IT flared up - I hope a bit more rest does the trick!

Meg said...

Fun pictures, you are so gorgeous!! Sorry to hear about the IT and the hills but you survived. Take it easy and enjoy your trip and friends!

Beth said...

I'm so glad your IT band is felling better. The pictures are great! I've had IT issues in the past. I had some active release therapy and have been free of IT problems for over 2 years. Take care!

Johann said...

You are absolutely right, I’ve had ITB before. The good news, it was in 1995 and I’ve never had problems again. A change in shoe brand helped me a lot, but I was out of running for 2 months. Walking should be fine as long as you don’t feel the pain. If it makes you hurt you’ll have to stop walking. I continue with other activities when I have an injury as long as I don’t feel the injury during or after that activity. Stay away from steep hills and down hills. Also watch the camber of the road. Try walking on a very flat surface. Hope that helps. Good luck and think long term. Heal properly now and you’ll run ITB free in the future. Again, make sure you have the right shoes and with that, gradual buildup is the key.

momof3 said...

Great job on the race! The hills would make the IT band feel worse than it flat. Sorry to share that NOW.

I think, maybe, building the milage back a little slower would work to not compound it immediately. Also, this week while you're resting, get a massage. A deep tissue massage. Best news you've gotten all day, right?

Iron Mike said...

Good call, wrapping up the 16K early in favor of your poor leg.
And you're absolutely right, you have plenty of time until the race. Your body will be stronger with the break, you may even drop those short runs without incident.

And great pics, I especially like that bridge.

Monica said...

I'm studying to get my Master's in School Counseling. Been a teacher for 21 years and I'm ready for something new and exciting while still having summers off. :)

Thanks for always commenting on my blog! :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Congrats on the run. Looks like you are enjoying your self. I hope you keep up the recovery!

Janine said...

Je suis contente de te voir resplendissante ma grande...même quand tu souffres sur le coussin. Bon voyage , je vous envie tout semble beau et bon.

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
Nice job on your virtual race! I love the picture of you running....peace girl!

I am glad that you are taking time to relax and recharge! Mmmm, seafood chowder and beer:)

Jamie said...

Nice job on the virtual race! Glad you are feeling better now after the run and i hope you continue to heal.

Lily on the Road said...

Look after yourself!

A visit to the maritimes is good for the soul, glad you had fun with your friends.