Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pacing? ...and did I say regression?

"Our aspirations are our possibilities" Samuel Johnson

My plan for the half is to TRY and finish in less than 2h30m...the program I am following is for a 2h15m pace. I would be SO happy with this time. At this point in my training, that is not feasible...at all...but, that's my goal. There I've said it, it's out there!

For those of you who asked....I'm registered for the Ottawa Half-Marathon on May 30.

Today I was to do a 3K tempo run, which means a 6:36/K pace (according to my RR plan). Now, because I do not have a Garmin...YET (hint hint on a future birthday gift my dear uber hubby) I chose to run this indoors for today. I needed to try and gage what this type of pace felt like. Ha! For some reason, I made this naive comment on my last post, "...next week I start the real program and it almost seems like a regression." Puhlease, may I take that back!!!

I realized today that for some reason, I thought that since my goal was to run longer distances, that I should focus (ONLY) on long, slow runs.  I learned today that running a 3K (which, didn't seem like a lot to me)...at 6mph, felt like forever!!! Actually, I didn't manage to do it all at once. I ran 1.5K at 6mph, so in 9m18s and then I walked for .1 mile and did the next 1.5K at 5.7mph, so in 9m54s. That's 6.37/K :) I have never done this before...so, a regression...NOT! Sure the longer runs on the weekends start off shorter than where I was at, but I can see why, considering I may barely be able to walk by then (okay, I may be exaggerating a bit here). Overall, I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes and did 4K (including the walking and warm-up running).

I then VERY SLOWLY made my way over to the other end of the gym to do my strength training. I did everything on my list, but the muscle in the back of my thigh is still not loving some of these exercises, so I was cautious. Otherwise, a good workout overall!

Thanks for your amazing support everyone.
Cheers!

16 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
Good job on the tempo run today! SO you are going to do the Ottawa half marathon...you have plenty of time to get prepared:) Love the "Our aspirations are our possibilities" quote! It is so true. Have a good one Anne!

Jocelyn said...

Good work out. I don't have a garmin either but pretty soon you will be able to gage what pace you are running while you are outside. It's weird. Short runs are just as important as your longer runs! I've made that mistake before. keep up the good work and you're sure to break 2h30m on your 1/2!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I have had days like that. Say a 3 miler after a 20 miler ... you'd think it would be easy, but somehow it's not. You are doing a great job. Keep it up!

Jamoosh said...

And don't forget to stretch!

Tricia said...

Great job! And thanks for the sweet comment on my injury post.

Lily on the Road said...

Good JOB, once you start running with the group you won't need a garmin right away... But, I'm sure with enough hints, uber hubby will surprise you on your birthday!!!

Melissa said...

Great job!!! I can't wait to read all about your first half!

Anne said...

Here's something to consider as far as pacing goes. Long, slow runs are slow only for people who are fast. If you are a 10 mpm or slower pace runner, run your Sunday runs at about the pace you need to finish in 2:30. The reason faster folks must run slower is because it's time on feet that counts, not necessarily mileage, for long runs and they will whip by them if they go their normal pace.

mommaof3ontherun said...

I haven't done any tempo runs. Great job!

ajh said...

When I first started running I thought I was supposed to try to go as fast as I could on all my runs. Nuts! It's a learning curve for sure.

Meg said...

Good job on the tempo, they help so much!

Kristen said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and wishing me a happy birthday! Good luck training for your half marathon - those tempo runs will for sure help you get in under 2:30.

Amy said...

Trust me those tempo runs will really help with feeling comfortable at your usual pace! I ran my first half in 2:26 - my goal was 2:30 so I was REALLY happy! I'm sure you'll be able to reach yours too!

Denise said...

definitely not a regression!! each type of run serves its purpose and those short fast ones are quite the work out!! and they will get you where you need to be in terms of speed. just be sure to balance hard and easy days!

Suzy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You'll do great with your first half. It is a really great distance.

kilax said...

I've heard that is a fun race! I hope you meet your goal!