Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Learning curve getting steeper...

First of all, thanks so much everyone for your amazing and encouraging comments...I so appreciate it!

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" not sure who said this,
Mike Young (?)

Okay, balance...it's a tough thing to figure out and I'm hearing I'm not the only one who had a bit of trouble figuring it out as a beginner. Today, I ran a 4K, that's 2.5 miles, and although I really don't worry about my pace for comparison's sake, I do know that I don't want to be running all day when I do my half marathon. So I really want to improve my time at least a bit...plus, I like how I feel when I know I pushed a little harder...and survived! These days, as you all know, my lungs are not happy and this makes my cardio rise faster...but, I've decided it doesn't mean I can't push a little...and I'm good! Yes, I'm a little bit more tired when I initially finish my run, but within a short time I'm feeling the rush of endorphins and I recuperate extremely well. So I'm starting to get a feel for how much I can push myself and my brain seems to think I've got even more to give :)

By the way I crossed a group of moms doing what looks like a "stroller workout"...they were all walking along doing leg lifts and lunges while pushing their strollers in front of them. Very cool!

Gotta go...I have yoga tonight...totally looking forward to that!
Cheers!

10 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm glad to find yours. I'm enjoying it! Have you tried running with a heart rate monitor? I love running with one and it takes all of the guess work about how hard you are pushing it. Congrats on your running and I'll keep checking in.

Amy said...

Anne, the one thing that really helped me to run comfortably at a faster pace was doing one tempo or interval run per week. And the tempo run can be relatively short, just so long as you get some intervals with bursts of faster paced running. Just to give an example of the kinds of runs I do for my tempo run:
- 4x 5 minutes at a fast (hard) pace, with two minutes of slower pace (or walking if you need to) in between. Add 5 minutes warming up and cooling down at each end.
- One of my favorites is 8-6-4-2 minutes at a fast pace, with 4-3-2-1 minutes of slower running/walking in between plus 5 min warm up and cool down. Because the intervals keep getting shorter as you get more warmed up, by the last interval you can really try and push your limits.

Doing these made me so much more comfortable at my regular pace, which gradually increased all by itself.

Amy said...

Great that you are going to try it! Remember the intervals should be hard but it should be a pace you can maintain for the alloted time. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Teamarcia said...

Sounds to me like you are well on your way! If you're getting that nice endorphin surge, you're doing it right and your body will keep adapting and the challenges will get easier. Keep up the great work!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you have the right attitude. I hope the asthma doesn't bother you too much.

A stroller workout - fun!

Melissa said...

I second the idea of a HRM. You'll get it though. It does get easier!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

So that stroller workout you saw, I teach those classes (not where you are, here in VA). They are hands down the best way to workout with the kids.

Stay positive! These challenges will get easier!

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving me the sweetest comment:) I look forward to reading your future posts!! Thank God, I am not the only half marathon virgin!! We can explore this running adventure together:) Have a great day!!

Diana said...

Nice job on the run. For me, I have found that having a strong base really helps for when I want to pick up my pace. Half mile pickups have really helped bring my times down. Good luck and keep working it.

The stroller moms sound pretty cool:) Hope you had fun at yoga.

unathleticrunner said...

I have a hard time with balence too! Have fun at yoga that stuff is harder than it looks! :)