Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yeah well...

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will."
Epictetus

FIRST, CONGRATS to everyone who ran Boston yesterday! You all are amazing!

Second, yeah well, it seems that riding may not have been the best thing to do after all (particularly spinning). It seems to have maintained the inflammation of the ligament in my ankle. At first the PT thought I could still run....NOT, then she thought it would be no problem for me to ride the bike, and now it's basically just take it easy for a few days.

So, I'm taking a break and we'll see how things go, but I've started to accept that running a marathon in 6 weeks is probably not going to happen. I'm still taking things one day at a time and for now, I have no idea what I'll be able to do on May 29th, so we'll see. Of course I got a little teary when the PT mentionned I should forget about the "half-marathon"...I had to remind her it was the full marathon I was registered for. She didn't see the tears (she was working on my foot and I quickly swallowed them). But, I'm okay.

In the words of a very close friend, "You didn't start running just to run a marathon, you are running for your health and because you love it." She's right. If my body allows me to run a marathon one day, that would be great. If not, as long as I can run and stay healthy and maybe do some half-marathons once in a while, I'd still be happy. My body has taken quite a figurative beating since I became seriously asthmatic eight years ago. Today, I'm about to reach 5 months without prednisone for the second time since I stopped and that is amazing. I love my life and I feel so healthy, thanks largely to running. So, I will fix this ankle and then I will focus on just enjoying the act of running for a while. No training plan. If I feel good and want to do a half-marathon in the fall, I'll take it slow and just do it. I think my body has been trying to tell me something...and I'm going to listen. No marathon just yet...I'm only 52 I've got plenty of time ;) :)

Happy running to you all!
Cheers!

17 comments:

Neil Zee said...

Get it fixed. Take care of yourself. You can get through this!

Amy said...

I think it's important to consider if our bodies are physically cut out to run certain distances, even when everything is in good shape. I know for myself that the half marathon distance is just about as far as I can train for and even then I have serious issues with my hip... I decided this year that I wasn't going to sign up for any halfs...and I haven't enjoyed my running more! I run three times a week for 45 minutes to an hour and it feels great. So maybe your body would be happier with shorter distances too?

RockStarTri said...

It is a journey, not a destination. It will all work out, I'm sure!

ajh said...

Oh. I cringed when I saw your new blog title knowing it wasn't good news. But yes the long term health is the most important by far. Hang in there. Celebrate you long time with no prednisone. Longer races and running will come later. Good luck and hugs.

Johann said...

Sad but I love your positive attitude. Running is about much more than just the next race. My dad ran his first marathon at 52 and ran many more and many ultras after that. Take care.

Sylvie said...

I just love your positive attitude. And I know what you are going through. You have plenty of time to get better and enjoy the training and running of a marathon. Never give up ;-)

Jennifer said...

Urgh! What a pain in the a$$. I hope you feel better soon!

Paul said...

Wise move. We are in it for the long haul too. You have to listen to your body when it's stressed and back off.

Don't fret about this. Trust me, you will get there and run many many marathons.

Marlene said...

I'm sorry that you're "benched" - I know it hurts. Glad you are seeing the positive. Life is good! Keep smiling!

Irene said...

Perhaps with a little time off you'll come back stronger. I also had to back off of a marathon last year, so I get it. You put your everything into it, and become mentally and emotionally attached to THAT event. I know it was that way for me. It really is better to heal yourself first and (because you ARE an athlete) you will be back at it sooner than you know. :)

Char said...

That's so true. It's the running that counts - doesn't matter about the distance or races. As long as you can do some form of running again. Hopefully this bike rest will be what you need and very soon it'll be all good again.

Beth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your marathon. Time to sign up for one later in the season! I know you are disappointed but I think if you are going to be a life-long runner then its eventually going to happen that you have to miss a race. Still doesn't make it any easier. I hope you find another race and that you get back out there again soon!

Dawn said...

Oh no, I'm very sorry to hear this! I'm glad to hear though that you are listening to your body and letting it heal properly. Your health is more important than anything else. You'll be back out there in no time. :)

Giorgio said...

I completely agree with your friend: It's nice to run for no reason and just because you love it.
I hope you'll have a beautiful Easter weekend!

Steel Springs said...

I'm sorry to hear this. You will run a marathon soon!

Black Knight said...

I agree you have all the time for a marathon. Now please don't be in hurry because 42,197 km is a very long distance and you must be ready at 100%.
However if you want to feel the smell of the competition and your leg doesn't hurt you could run part of it.
Best wishes.

Kate Geisen said...

You are so taking the right attitude, and you're so strong. And SMART. Seeking treatment and LISTENING to the advice is what's going to keep you healthy and active. I know it must be frustrating for you. I hope you're healed up soon, and that it the meantime you're able to stay active and enjoy yourself. Hang in there, my friend!