Thursday, April 14, 2011

Update...and verdict

"Sentence first, verdict afterwards."
Lewis Caroll


The sentence: No running until I see the PT again next Tuesday - biking is allowed. Spinning is encouraged.


The verdict: Inflammation of one of those tiny ligaments in the foot (on the right side of right foot below and slightly to the back of the fibula). The PT is doing all she can to make sure I get back to running in time to finish training for my marathon. Plus, I'm in luck as she has a student with her this week and this means extra time devoted to me and my ankle. Today, they did stimulation of the ligament with massage, ultra sound, and electrical currents. Then ice. At home, I am to do my exercises; massage; ice; take an anti-inflammatory; and of course not run.

The injury is recent and therefore relatively mild, which means there is a chance I will might be able to run next week soon. I am extremely grateful for the support I am getting from my PT...I can tell she wants this for me "almost" as much as I do!

Tonight I am going to try out a new spin class. Must make sure to keep the cardio strong. If it seems to do the job, I will go back a few times a week to compensate for the lack of running. I've gone riding every day since I stopped running and I hope to go speed walk on the trails this weekend to work the cardio with climbing. My daughter will join me if the weather if nice...I'd love that!

Cheers!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you'll be running next week but it's nice you can still bike and get out for some fun. It's wonderful that the PT spent some time on this injury, I'm not so sure my guy would have found that kind of inflammation nor spent so much time on it. You are fortunate!!
Enjoy the weekend, thanks for the wonderful wishes!

Jill said...

OOo - I hope you are back to running next week, but enjoy the biking in the meantime. I think part of my big problem is that I did not get my foot problem looked at for months on end so glad you did!

ajh said...

Hope it works fast. Spinning is fun and very cardio. Not a good sentence but you get it. Good luck.

Marlene said...

It sounds like you are getting all the help/treatment/support you need - is there anything more valuable then a great PT? GOOD LUCLK ANNE!

RunningFromCancer said...

Hoping that you will be back on your feet . . . running soon! But in the mean time, enjoy your bike.

Jennifer said...

Good to know what it is. Now you can work on getting better!

Johann said...

Enjoy the riding and spinning but take care of yourself. As long as they know what the problem is it looks good. Have a super weekend and enjoy your own time while not babysitting!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel said...

Sounds like the best possible news as far as injuries are concerned. Minor and quick-healing - what more could you ask for (you know, aside from not being injured at all...)?

Melinda said...

Darn! Sorry you keep having issues but I hope you're back to running soon.

I will miss being in Boston this ear, and agree - GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Unknown said...

You have such a wonderful attitude about your injury - love that!

And, congrats on the baby! SO EXCITING!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Dawn said...

Hi Anne....it's my 1st time here to your blog. I too have Asthma and have just recently discovered my love for running. It's been challenging but so far pretty good. Anyway, I wish you luck with everything and I hope you are back to running in no time. :)

Beth said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the biking and spinning and hope you are running again soon!

Amy said...

good luck with the injury - and congratulations on the wonderful news about your first grandchild! How exciting! Hope all goes well for the expectant mom and the baby!

B.o.B. said...

Pretty sure I had that exact same injury. Only in my left foot. I took about 3 to 4 weeks off and haven't (fingers crosses) had the issue again. R.I.C.E. it and you should be good to go!