Monday, June 6, 2011

Why I run...

"Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."  

Harvey Fierstein


This morning, the plan was to have breakfast, make a few short phone calls for work and then go for my run. On the program, I had a 55 minute run at a slow and steady pace.

First the whine: I'm tired these days, because I have spring allergies and I am not sleeping well. I'm also 52 years old and I think I may sometimes be experiencing my own personal mini heat waves. So, I kept procrastinating, and just couldn't get enthusiastic about going for my run. I wasn't feeling it physically, even though mentally, I was actually excited about my new program. I seriously felt like I just didn't have the energy for it. Finally, I just got ready and got myself out there.

The run: When you wait, it's much warmer outside. So it was hot and humid when I got out there at noon. The suggested pace was actually quite slow (7:25 min/Km) but, it wasn't that easy with the humidity. I pretty much talked myself through it and did manage to enjoy the view, but not so much the run.

The reward: When I got home, I removed my shoes and socks and soaked my feet in ice cold water. Then I took my shower and honestly couldn't believe how much better I felt. I love that post-run feeling. My energy level is higher, I smile to myself and just feel so good. Then I remembered...

That's why I run! 
Cheers!

19 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Oh I hear you on running in the heat!! I took it nice and easy today, and it still wasn't nice OR easy. Lol

Jill said...

The one thing I have learned about biking is that in 92 degrees, the heat isn't as murderous as it is running :). I don't sleep well and I have allergies and I'm way old...sucks, doesn't it!!?!? Hope you get some good rest tonight!

Char said...

You've mentioned two things in your blog which are the reasons that I run at or before dawn. The first is the heat - can't bear to run when it's hot. And the second is that I can never talk myself out of a run that early cause my brain just can't think of a good argument at that time of the day.

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel said...

That's one of my favorite things about running, too! No matter how blah I feel before, and generally no matter how crummy the run is, I almost always feel energized by it.

Jennifer said...

I know all about the heat! It's all relative to where you live and I would love your part of the continent! Good for you getting out there, it's tough sometimes but I always, always feel better once I am done. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Great - thanks for reminding me the 50's are going to suck...

Andrew Opala said...

post run is awesome ... everything is awake and sore, and you are high with accomplishment!

... but humidity sucks

Will Cooper said...

endorphins baby, endorphins!

Gaspegirl said...

Oh wow, I hear you.. I always feel so much better when I am done but sometimes the run can be tough.

Make it a great day!

Robin said...

Couldn't agree more, with most of that! WTG!

Johann said...

Nothing beats that post run feeling! So strange, not long ago all I read on blogs were complaints about the winter and cold. Now it's all complaints about summer and heat and humidity. We humans like to complain I think.

Paul said...

I'm with Johann...we humans like to complain ;)

On the one hand we have trouble getting out the door. Or we get compulsive and overtrain ourselves into chronic fatigue.

Oy.

Sorry about the internal heat waves. One of the few advantages of the otherwise inferior male body is that we don't have to deal with THAT. ;)

Marlene said...

I was also out for a steamy run at noon today. Would have been nice to soak my feet or take a cool shower, but I had to freshen up with the sink and get back to work. I swear I kept sweating for hours after!

Glad you felt better after your run - don't we always? :)

ajh said...

I do love the feeling after for sure! Hate the heat though. It helps get me up a little earlier.

Wifey said...

Great post ... and motivation!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I agree, it's a great feeling to know you got out there and ran even though it was hot and humid.

Dawn said...

I love the post run feeling too. During: not so much-lol. I often think: tell me agian why I'm doing this??? I think that's why it can be so addicting :).

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

Becareful out there in the heat. Its been a hot one lately!

Black Knight said...

Be careful when outside it is hot and humid.
I have your same problems with my allergy, the night is difficult!
I love the post-run moments.