Sunday, March 24, 2013

Not an easy week...

"If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change." 
John A. Simone, Sr.

It was the type of week that will be easiest described in point here goes:

  1. Tuesday evening, Uber H was sent by the clinic to the ER to make sure the ache in his temple was not something serious. It wasn't. But he got home at 2:30 am, and of course, he called me to keep me posted and I didn't sleep so well until he got home. So Wednesday I was a little tired.
  2. Wednesday evening, we decided to eat out. I had a chicken brochette, which unfortunately was dry as wood, and seem to have little splinters. At one point, one of those little "splinters" got stuck in the back of my throat...ouch. After some water, the worst seemed to have passed, but something still felt stuck deep in my throat and it hurt when I swallowed. When I got home, I called info-health and they told me to go to the ER. Of course! So I did. However, after the nurse told me that if whatever was stuck there seemed to move I was to come see her immediately, I was then put on the not-so-urgent list. I guess as long as it stayed there it wasn't dangerous, but I couldn't go home either, in case. So yes, health-care is free in Canada, but unless you're a serious emergency, ER is LOOOOONG. I saw the nurse at 9:30pm and saw the doctor at 3:45am! I was going crazy! So they did an x-ray and there was no bone. Then she froze my throat and using a metal thingie went to look down there (Gag). She didn't see anything stuck there, just a lesion. But, even though she was pretty sure the lesion was causing the pain when I swallowed, just to be sure, I was to see the ENT later that morning. 
  3. Thursday: Cancelled my morning clients, really not as simple as that sounds, but I'll spare you the details. Saw the ENT later in the morning, he once again froze my throat, went through my nose, down into my throat. Yup. Fun. So, he confirmed, there was swelling and a lesion, but no dry chicken. So basically a whole night awake, but all is healing well. 
  4. Thursday PM: Off to see a nutritionist for an appointment that was scheduled three weeks ago. I'll tell you more about that soon...some great advice, and I'm not eating enough...especially not enough protein!
  5. Tired...tired...tired. 
  6. Friday: I had my appointment with my trainer at the gym (another one of those scheduled weeks ago), so I had to go through my strength program (nausea)...then I had my clients, who were rescheduled. Plus a show to attend in the early evening.
  7. Saturday: I ran 40 minutes...then went door to door as I had agreed to volunteer to collect funds for Heart and Cardiovascular disease. A dinner and evening out to go to the restaurant (an hour away) where my godson plays the piano (this was scheduled a month ago)!
  8. Tired...tired...tired. I am so 54 years old :) 
  9. Sunday: Long run...too tired in the am. Rest...have lunch...and then around 1pm, I head out. The program said 20Km, my plan was to try for included 30 minutes at half-marathon pace (6m15/km). I managed to include the 30 minutes...but I was finding it very difficult. When I reached 14.65km, I just stopped my watch and for the first time ever, called my husband to come and get me. He did...I just couldn't go any further without risking spending another week recuperating. 
So yeah, that was my week. The good news is that both Uber H and I could have stayed home and slept and avoided ER in the end. I much prefer that we went for nothing and that all is good! 
Tomorrow starts a new week :)


Char said...

Your week was officially awful. I don't doubt that you're tired after that. It's harder to bounce back in your fifties isn't it?

Darlene said...

Yes it is. Hope this week is better.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

What a rough week you had! Next week can only be better!

By the way, I stopped at home for my Gatorade and pretzels and carried the rest in my pockets. That worked!

Black Knight said...

This week will be absolutely better.

Robin said...

Tough week for sure. Hope this week better for you!

Marv said...

What a week ! hope this one is better. When I see a crowd of participants lined up to start an event, I often wonder what all they had to go through to get there.

ajh said...

Way too much time in the ER! But better safe than sorry. I wish I had gone to the ER when I hurt my ankle.
That whole throat procedure sounds awful. I had to have a similar thing done once and I remember it well.

Caroline said...

Ouf je suis epuisee juste a lire tout ca
Je suis bien contente que vous soyez ok tous les 2
ER est tres long ici aussi surtout pour des cas qui ne sont pas urgents
J'espere que cette semaine se passe mieux !