Monday, August 23, 2010

15K - Done!

"There is no one giant step that does it. It's a lot of little steps."
Peter A. Cohen

Just wanted to let you know that your happy vibes did the job and the next step has been taken. My 15K was a relative success. Yay! Relative as in I did it all, but the last 1.5K there was some knee pain. Not unbearable, but it was a good thing that I was almost done. I seem to be able to push just a bit more every week...we'll hope the trend is maintained. It's already been a little over 6 weeks that I first felt pain in my knee and it's been a rollercoaster of emotions.

I'm pretty sure you get it. Everytime I thought I was better, I'd have a mini-celebration in my mind. Of course, this made the return of the pain much more disappointing. So now, although I feel less pain and I can run longer, I am happy, but I am not jumping for joy and I remain cautious. Hopefully, it'll just keep getting better. I'm taking this one day at a time. Next week, I'm planning a 10K, a 12K and an 18K long run...and I'm feeling confident

In two weeks is the Montreal Half-Marathon for which I am registered. The plan is to run it as a training run. Not aiming for a PR, just a PA (personal accomplishment) :)

Cheers!

27 comments:

Marlene said...

I have been there and completely understand the cycle. Glad you seem to be on the mend!

kilax said...

I can totally relate on the ups and downs. Running really does that to me too. I am happy to hear your knee is better and think a PA is a perfect plan! :)

ajh said...

I totally get the feeling cautious thing. I didn't run today and am hoping tomorrow less heel pain.

Laura said...

I've gone through your chart before! Injuries can be so frustrating and such a worry can't they? Glad you went mainly without pain today, hope it continues the trend!

Beth said...

Life and running are always full of ups and downs. I hope you have a great race in a couple weeks. PA's are awesome!

Teamarcia said...

Love the idea of a PA! Go you!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

I hope your knee pain continues to stay away.

I so agree with just looking at the next run - don't get too far ahead of yourself. ;-) Hoping each run continues to get better.

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

Best of luck with the half! You'll be great. :)

P said...

That graphic is such a perfect description of running after an injury/pain! I love the idea of racing for a PA - awesome idea!

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
Congrats on finishing your 15K! I have been running so many of my races as training runs:) It does take the pressure off...you might enjoy it more than you think! Cheers to PAs:)

Jennifer said...

I love the idea of a PA! Keep up the good attitude!

Robin said...

Great job on your 15K... love the PA - that's awesome!

Giorgio said...

I'm glad that your training is going well Anne. Enjoy your running plan next week and take care on Montreal Half-Marathon although you've planned to run it as a training.

kat said...

Congratulations on completing your 15k, I think many people can relate to your chart, my achilles injury had me on the same journey,but I am finally turning a corner, I hope the same happens to you. You've got a great attitude, just make sure you listen to your body. Good luck with the half marathon, I know your going to be fabulous.

NY Wolve said...

That's awesome and good luck! 15K is a hrad distance too!

Johann said...

Just take it easy and you'll get there. Good job with the 15k! All the best and more good vibes!

teacherwoman said...

Oh yes, the cycle. Take it easy girl! Nice job on the 15K!

Tricia said...

love the idea of a PA

Aneta said...

yay for the 15k!
and i totally get the cycle. i am going thru it right now!

Casey said...

Hey that's awesome!! Congrats!

Tara said...

Anne! Congrats on your 15k! I am so glad that you had minimal knee pain. Sorry about the last 1.5 :(

I like, no love the confidence that I am hearing as you talk about your upcoming runs. You are going to so well in your half marathon! Take care of yourself and that knee. Stretch well!

Jill said...

Big High-Fives to you!!!

Claudia said...

wow Anne!! 15k that's amazing! Great work!
Way to stick with it and work through your injury.
I love that you're calling it a PA, because it truly is.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

Knee pain is no fun at all, but you seem to be taking it smart and that's how we all come back from it!

Pierre said...

The path you are taking to succeed, now that is "YOUR PR". You inspire me, love bro.

Irene said...

I also love that you're calling it a PA. I might have to borrow that. :) You're doing great!

Iron Mike said...

I can see why you would have preferred to extend the 13.5K of pleasantness to the end, but as you've illustrated, running and life is a rollercoaster. Ride it out!

And, I'm always so happy to see graphs in blogs, we need more for us multimedia-type readers.