Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm going places and I've got so much to learn!

"You learn something every day if you pay attention." Ray LeBlond
"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." George Santayana

First, thanks so much to momof3, Wendy and MCM Mama for presenting me with the You're going places baby award! You guys are awesome...if you haven't already, do go check out their blogs. I must now tell you where I think I will be in 10 years, and award 10 bloggers. I particularly like this award, because I truly believe that we have the power to create the life we want to live. Obviously, things we don't control can happen...but, then you have to chose how you will deal with it I guess.

In 10 years, I will be 61 years old and I will not be concerned with my age. I will be healthy and so will my wonderful family. I will be a marathoner and my husband and I will still be running and racing together, both on asphalt and on trails. My kids will be happily settled in their adult lives and I will be a very proud and involved grandmother. I will continue to love my career and will be working three days a week. I'll be a good cook :) ...and I'll be reading books and blogging. Finally, there will be a few unexpected awesome surprises in my life over the next few years.

Next on the menu (pun intended) I'll be talking about the food advice you all gave me and how I plan to use it.

1) I have decided to see a nutritionist. She is a nutritionist-dietitcian and most importantly, she runs half-marathons and marathons. Perfect. She was super nice on the phone and I will be meeting with her some time in late July (the actual date is not yet confirmed). She is part of a group and they are called Harmonie Santé. They have a website and we get our own password and we can then get extra information or ask questions. I'm very excited and I'll keep you posted!

2) I have located a farm that delivers a weekly box of organic vegetables at a location near us. I will be checking the logistics, there's an $18 registration fee - a $50 fee to support the organic farming and then a weekly $30 rate for the basket. I'll check this out and keep you posted!

3) I decided to check my recipe books and plan ahead. I wrote down the missing ingredients for a few new recipes I want to make this week and I went out and bought the ingredients. I made the Primavera Sauce yesterday and will be cooking Salmon with spinach and white wine sauce tonight. I've got three soups planned and I will be freezing some of each (for lunches). I'll let you know how I do with this too.

4) I've been checking books and websites. Here are a few that you've mentioned in my comments:
      http://dailyburn.com/login (I've joined and I should be eating around 2200 calories per day)
      http://www.michaelpollan.com/books
      Mark Bitton's book Food Matters was also mentioned
      Vegweb.com was suggested
      http://www.brendanbrazier.com/ of The Thrive Diet (great for making your own sports drinks or snacks)
      http://www.trimarnie.blogspot.com/ was suggested (her blog is awesome)

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful feedback. There is so much to learn and as many of you have suggested, my goal is to find what works for me.

Finally, today was day 1 of our marathon training plan. We had a 10K LSD (long slow distance) to complete and I went a little too fast for my goal time. I figure that's normal, but I need to learn to slow it down, because much longer distances are in my future! I will be writing my weekly training plan on the sidebar (the running and other workouts will be included).

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Cheers!

27 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Anne,
I am finally getting caught up with everyone's blogs. Congrats on your award! I love where you are going to be in ten years:) It sounds like a good life! You and your hubby will rock with the running and look just as amazing as you do now! Keep up your healthy life style:) Thanks for sharing...this was fun to read!

mommaof3ontherun said...

I love the 10 year outlook. Nice. The organic vegetable thing sounds neat.

ajh said...

What plan did you choose? I was supposed to do an 11 mile today and just could not fact it in the heat and I never skip workouts. But I think we walked at least 10. Prob. 11. I have a blister and I never get blisters running!

Steel Springs said...

That sounds like a great place to be in 10 years. I love the idea of a getting a basket of produce from a farm. I'm hoping to participate in one when I get more settled.

ajh said...

Is 10/1 running walking? That is how I started. My plan is 6 days but I am not sure but 5 would be smarter or do just as well. I wish I knew.

Heather said...

Nice job with your run!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

wonderful look into the future. ;-)

I am very excited for you and the start of your marathon training.

Have a great week.

Oh by the way - we participate in our local CSA (community supported agriculture) program. We get a fresh box of vegies every other week. In addition to this vegie box - I can stop at a farmers markets in town. Downtown (near work) on Saturday and Wednesday. Near my home on Sunday and on my way home on Tuesday. So I have have 4 opportunities to buy fresh and local . . . LOVE IT.

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

love seeing where you'll be going in 10 years. fun to envision;-)

and yah for going to a nutritionist. i think you'll gain so much from that! i know i did/do.

Sherri said...

What a fun award!
I loved where your going in 10 years! =)

Laura said...

Cool award :-)

Congrats for getting started on the marathon training! So exciting :-)

Jon Gilchrist said...

wow...that organic veggies delivery hookup is NICE!!!

JEALOUS!!!

Iron Mike said...

Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemna was a very enjoyable and informative read, highly recommended as I saw he was on your list.

Johann said...

I love how positive you look at your 10 years from now. Learn to slow it down…not always easy, but very important. I love LSD runs. Well, I’m so slow I do LSD runs most of the time. :)

Jennifer said...

Yay! On starting your marathon journey. It's so exciting and I can't wait to read your blogs about. You will learn to slow down, especially the first time you go over the 13.1 mile distance! Cheers!

Amy said...

Very positive outlook - I wouldn't expect anything else from you! I am excited to think about that for myself, will post tomorrow ;-)
Looks like you have good plans for figuring out your nutritional goals - keep us posted!

Jamoosh said...

I love the idea of fresh veggies delivered weekly.

Rad Runner said...

LOVE the 10 year outlook so cool :)

Molly said...

have fun with the fresh produce! I like to plan my meals on Sundays, less stress when I have a fridge full of food ready to go!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you have a great action plan in place for taking control of your nutrition. Good luck!

kat said...

Great ten year outlook, and your food plan sounds very solid as well, good luck with it.

Tricia said...

congrats on your award! and loved the 10 year outlook

wendy said...

Love your 10 yr plan : ) Good luck with the nutrtionist. Let us know how it goes!

MCM Mama said...

Great 10 year outlook!

Sounds like you have a good plan for the food.

Anne said...

We have several CSA farms here that provide that service and it's amazing. You are really motivated to eat and cook more healthful meals. I hope you join yours.

Kevin said...

What do you mean, a very proud and involved grandmother.....

Anonymous said...

I suggest going vegan, as I have. And as Scott Jurek, ultramarathoner extraordinaire, has done.

Jill said...

I'm tagged :). Thanks!! I love where you want your life to be in 10-years....I couldn't have said it better myself (can I steal yours?? Hehe). I'm glad you are going towards a nutritionist, I had that ability a couple years ago and I can't tell you how helpful it is. I'd do it again if I could afford it!